Greater Farallones Association (GFA) is proud to launch the Marine Science Education Fellowship program in 2022, supporting college students or early-career professionals from backgrounds underrepresented in the sciences.
Our Marine Science Education Fellows will be given the opportunity to build teaching skills and comfort working with students, learn marine science curriculum, and have access to marine sanctuary resources. GFA is committed to providing opportunities to the next generation of marine scientists and educators from all backgrounds, and is dedicated to raising awareness and stewardship of the vital ocean resources right off the San Francisco coast.
Each fellow will provide instructional and administrative program support for the LiMPETS program and/or the Oceans After School program, both virtually in the classroom and in-person on field trips; and help increase capacity to deliver ocean exploration educational programs to low-income youth. Fellows learn the coastal curriculum; gain experience teaching marine science; and are given the opportunity to connect with staff across GFA and Greater Farallones and Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuaries, and with project partners. All aimed at skill development and career advancement.
Activities associated with this paid, part-time, six month position with the Greater Farallones Association include:
- Assisting with the delivery of LiMPETS coastal science education programs.
- Maintain a safe and inclusive environment for all students during lessons.
- Assisting the Program Coordinator in administration of programs, including outreach to and coordination with teachers.
- Manage program equipment and supplies.
- Staff the Greater Farallones Visitor Center on a weekend day, greeting and engaging guests in the exhibits.
- Assist in the implementation of a teacher professional development workshop.
- Assist in curriculum development and online educational resources, as needed.
- Other program specific tasks as needed.
For questions about the LiMPETS program, please contact Jaclyn Schneider at email@example.com.
For questions about the Oceans After School program, please contact Jean Alupay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greater Farallones Association (GFA) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization working in partnership with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to conserve the ecosystems of Greater Farallones and Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuaries.