Throw a marine-themed birthday party with the Greater Farallones on our historic Pier House! You can book a birthday for your budding marine biologist on a Saturday or Sunday between 10am and 4pm. Choose up to two interactive 45-minute programs. You can complement the marine-science lessons with cake in the Pier House and playing on Crissy Field Beach.
Choose two marine lessons for your kid and their friends to experience!
- Sharks. Includes building a life-sized Great White Shark, and watching some shark video footage as well as examining shark artifacts.
- Marine Mammals. We have some excellent marine mammal artifacts (whale baleen/skulls and seal pelts), listening to marine mammal sounds, and wrap up with a lifesized chutes and ladders marine mammal board game.
- Crabs. Crab dress-up & anatomy, holding/exploring crabs, and crab-fishing.
- Plankton. Tow for plankton using plankton nets and then look at our catch under microscopes.
- Squid Dissection. Use blunt-nosed scissors to learn about squid anatomy, and after the dissection feed the animals in our visitor center tanks.
- Salmon Dissection. Learn about the salmon life cycle and then dissect a salmon.
- Beach exploration. If you’re open to doing a little beach exploration and you don’t mind sandy (potentially wet) feet. We can hunt for beach hoppers, sand crabs, and shore crabs.
- ROV’s (remotely operated vehicles). Kids will be introduced to deep ocean exploration followed by building their own ROV’s using colorful PVC pipes, propellers, and a remote control! They can then be tested and driven in the water off the pier. *This program requires the full 90 minutes and is recommended for OLDER kids*